Infusion (Thaumcraft 4)
|This article is about the concept from Thaumcraft 4. You may be looking for Infusion from Thaumcraft 3.|
Infusion is a process of creating magical items on Infusion Altar by imbuing the catalyst with other items and liquid Essentia, available in Thaumcraft 4 mod. This article is only about the process of creation of such items. For information about the altar setup, stabilization and automation visit Infusion Altar page.
The process of Infusion is shown on the recipe of Awakened Ichorium Pickaxe from Thaumic Tinkerer 2 addon. The Infusion Altar is set on 12 ingredients and stabilized with 125 Fire Crystal Clusters. Essentia is provided in Warded Jars.
For the recipe the player needs to put the catalyst (in this example - Ichorium Pickaxe) on the central pedestal and other 12 ingredient on other 12 pedestals in random order. The order the ingredients are placed on the pedestals does not matter at all. The player should also supply Essentia in any storage blocks in the amount slightly more than needed, just to be safe.
ActivationTo activate the recipe, the player should right-click the Runic Matrix with any wand. No Vis is used during this operation, so even completely empty wand will work as an activator. Right after the recipe is activated, the Runic Matrix will "open" and start glowing and will take Essentia from containers and move it to itself and the down to the catalyst. The aspect of the essentia currently drained can be viewed by looking on Runic Matrix with Goggles of Revealing. In the recipes provided in the Wiki, the aspects are arranged left to right in the order of they being drained during the Infusion. In this example,
The altar will scan all its active area for any container with the Essentia of the appropriate aspect. Then it will start draining the Essentia, and will scan the area again after the container is emptied. If the Altar cannot find any Essntia in its active zone, it will add several points to each essentia needed once in several seconds, and will scan for new essentia needed. So the essentia required for this recipe will increase, and if no backup essentia is stored in the area, this will make things even worse.
Once all essentia is drained, the altar will begin to drain ingredients. It will scan all nearby Arcane Pedestals for the required ingredient and will consume it, creating a beam of particles flying from it towards the catalyst. If no required ingredient found, the altar will add several points to each essentia needed once in several seconds, and will scan for new essentia needed. After it has fulfilled all its essentia needs, it will continue searching for ingredients.
Once all ingredients and essentia is collected, the altar will change the catalyst to the resulting item. If the result is several items (f.e. Ichor), it will still be displayed as one, but will give the player actual output amount when the player right-clicks on the pedestal to collect the item.
During the Infusion certain instability problems may happen. The chance of them to happen depends on the total stability of the altar and on the instability of the recipe. If current instability (based on recipe instability and altar stability) is more than 0 and random integer number generated on this tick from 0 to 500 is not bigger than instability, the instability event will happen on this tick.
- The ingredient knocked from the pedestal. The ingredient will be removed and placed as a drop nearby. Beware of golems or other items from automatically collecting it or such blocks as Fire, Lava or Cactus from destroying it. 4/21 chance for first ingredient to be knocked out, 2/21 for 2nd, 3rd and 6th ingredients to be knocked out and 1/21 for 4th and 5th ingredients to be knocked out. If the recipe has less than 6 ingredients, the number of the ingredient to be knocked out will be [number - number_of_ingredient]. 12/21 chance for this instability event to happen.
- The ingredient melted. The ingredient on a random pedestal will disappear and one block of Flux Goo and one block of Flux Gas will spawn right above the pedestal. 3/21 chance for this to happen.
- Lightning hits the player. The player will take 4-6 damage. 4/21 chance for this to happen.
- There will be a small explosion near the altar. This will not damage blocks but can knock items out and damage the player. 1/21 chance for this to happen.
- The player will get Warp. 1/21 chance for this to happen.